Guardians of Equestria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beyond STO

+5
Niarro
Shooting Star
Caroo™
Light Shine
Stormy Seas
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Beyond STO Empty Beyond STO

Post  Stormy Seas Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:34 pm

Okay, I don't mean to one-up Niarro's post, but I was meaning to make a topic about this very thing today.

So, what other games do we all play that we could get some multiplayer groove on? Obviously, we already have a couple of SC2 nuts. While I was a big fan of SC1, I have yet to play any of the sequel. The early requirement of a constant internet connection turned me off of the game. But, continuing on, I also have avaliable:

- Minecraft (can't get enough of the Technic Pack mod and making pony industrial complexes)
- A Valley Without Wind (single/multi action sidescroller that I just started yesterday; looks promising so far)
- Civ 5 (never tried a multi match before, but I love turn-based strategies)
- Terraria (haven't played it much but it is interesting; figure it would better with more people)
- TF2 (played some of the tutorial rounds with bots; my name for all the FPSs I played during college wasn't "Target_Practice" for nothing)

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Stormy Seas
Stormy Seas
Royal Knight
Royal Knight

http://ponysquare.com/Stormy_Seas/

Back to top Go down

Beyond STO Empty Re: Beyond STO

Post  Light Shine Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:46 pm

I LOVE the Civ series. Love, love, love! I'm game for Civ anytime. (Civ4 and 5, that is.)
StarCraft 2 is awesome, but I can't get mine to work for some dumb reason.
Total War series, anypony? Medieval 2 is my favorite. I like Empire and Napoleon, but it doesn't run quite right on my Boot Camp Windows 7. Have yet to try Shogun 2.
Just got into TF2, and am trying to figure out the modding for it(ponies!).
Battle for Wesnoth... love/hate relationship. I can't put it down, but I hate the combat engine for it.
Sins of a Solar Empire... sweet game.
Light Shine
Light Shine
Dignitary of Canterlot
Dignitary of Canterlot

http://ponysquare.com/Light_Shine/

Back to top Go down

Post  Caroo™ Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:57 am

Battlestar Galactica online. It would totally go with space fleet stuff.
Caroo™
Caroo™
Dignitary of Canterlot
Dignitary of Canterlot

Back to top Go down

Post  Light Shine Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:15 am

OH. MY. GOODNESS.

Just got inducted to TF2 with ponies...

...it was amazing. Hilarity. I'm still a newb to the whole game, but I had fun with the limited time I spent online. Personally, I like the Medic. It's fun healing peeps, while not dying. They have pony heroes with special abilities, but I have NO CLUE how to use the abilities. Guess I need to look up a forum for that...

...I'm thinking that one day we all get on TF2 and try our hand at it. I dunno. Just a thought. They have voice chat, but I was afraid to use mine...

Anyhow. TF2 was awesome... and I was awful. Well, I didn't do too bad as the medic... 'course, I've got none of the special weapons or whatnot, so I am a very low level player, as it were. Well, enough of that.

Oh! I almost forgot...
Beyond STO You_re10

...cause Fluttershy is best Medic.
Light Shine
Light Shine
Dignitary of Canterlot
Dignitary of Canterlot

http://ponysquare.com/Light_Shine/

Back to top Go down

Post  Caroo™ Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:20 am

Am I the only who's been playing TF2 for a while now? XD
Caroo™
Caroo™
Dignitary of Canterlot
Dignitary of Canterlot

Back to top Go down

Post  Stormy Seas Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:02 am

Big Mac wrote:I LOVE the Civ series. Love, love, love! I'm game for Civ anytime. (Civ4 and 5, that is.)
Total War series, anypony? Medieval 2 is my favorite. I like Empire and Napoleon, but it doesn't run quite right on my Boot Camp Windows 7. Have yet to try Shogun 2.
Battle for Wesnoth... love/hate relationship. I can't put it down, but I hate the combat engine for it.
We ought to try something with Civ 5 sometime. I loved Rome:Total War, skipped both Medievals, and dove straight into Empire. Empire really stands out for me simply for the naval comabt component. Sin of a Solar Empire, also a great game but the captial ships lack the punchy feel I'm looking for from something with the battleship or dreadnought title.

I haven't been playing much other than STO, Civ 5, and Minecraft lately. I think I'm obesessed with finding that perfect location to build my Minecraft Fortress of Friendship, so I spend the majority of my time wandering around different seeds.

Caroo wrote:Battlestar Galactica online. It would totally go with space fleet stuff.
Didn't even know they had that. Details?

Caroo wrote:Am I the only who's been playing TF2 for a while now? XD
Thus far, it's look to be that way. Though given how much fun I had in my early days of Counter Strike and the first two Halo's, I think getting a bunch of us on TF2 would be a great idea. My lack of skill in the FPS world has never dulled the enjoyment of it for me, and ponies can only heighten the fun factor.
And Fluttershy is indeed best medic.
Stormy Seas
Stormy Seas
Royal Knight
Royal Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Caroo™ Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:09 am

Stormy Seas wrote:
Caroo wrote:Battlestar Galactica online. It would totally go with space fleet stuff.
Didn't even know they had that. Details?

It's an MMO Like STO, F2P, Lots of ships and two different sides, lots of ships, You can expand the territory of you faction and you can mine your money. and the fact that it has much more PVP increases the fun.
The only thing missing is ground combat but there really wasn't much ground combat in the actual show right?

Visit the site for more details. lol
Caroo™
Caroo™
Dignitary of Canterlot
Dignitary of Canterlot

Back to top Go down

Post  Shooting Star Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:46 am

Big Mac wrote:I LOVE the Civ series. Love, love, love! I'm game for Civ anytime. (Civ4 and 5, that is.)

Sins!!!! I'm not alone in my 20 hour long game RTS love! Looking forward to Rebellion? Very Happy

Sins and Civ take ages to finish a game but you can save multiplayer games on Sins and i think on Civ5
Also i love Rome Total War, i have the others somewhere but i can't find em atm Razz
Shooting Star
Shooting Star
Dignitary of Canterlot
Dignitary of Canterlot

Back to top Go down

Post  Niarro Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:51 am

I've actually played BSG Online a bit, was pretty neat. Very impressed with it, 'specially for a "browser game", heh.

I do love the civ series as well, but right now my hardware doesn't handle 5 terribly well X3;

and I've played a bit of TF2, but again... hardware! I used to play so much TFC back in the day, though :3

(And Big Mac, if you do ever get your SC2 working... I'd love to play! XD)

Niarro
Dignitary of Manehatten
Dignitary of Manehatten

Back to top Go down

Post  Caroo™ Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:09 pm

Niarro wrote:I've actually played BSG Online a bit, was pretty neat. Very impressed with it, 'specially for a "browser game", heh.

Hard to believe it's unity

Niarro wrote:and I've played a bit of TF2, but again... hardware! I used to play so much TFC back in the day, though :3
Isn't tf2 practically TFC with an established story, improved graphics and gameplay, and different weapons?
Caroo™
Caroo™
Dignitary of Canterlot
Dignitary of Canterlot

Back to top Go down

Post  Niarro Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:15 pm

Caroo wrote:Isn't tf2 practically TFC with an established story, improved graphics and gameplay, and different weapons?

Practically! The fact that the classes no longer have grenades is probably one of the biggest changes, heh. X3

Niarro
Dignitary of Manehatten
Dignitary of Manehatten

Back to top Go down

Post  Caroo™ Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:18 pm

What about Ace Online?
Caroo™
Caroo™
Dignitary of Canterlot
Dignitary of Canterlot

Back to top Go down

Post  Niarro Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:22 pm

Hadn't seen that before. Looks pretty cool, actually!

I've been kind of wanting to play a battlefield type FPS recently. Also, I'm looking forward to Mechwarrior Online quite a bit XD

Niarro
Dignitary of Manehatten
Dignitary of Manehatten

Back to top Go down

Post  Tia Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:52 pm

I've played the civ games up to four though I have not yet played five. I have gotten really into Alpha Centauri as of late. I might try TF2 over the summer we shall see. Does anypony here play audiosurf?
Tia
Tia
Member of the Celestial Brigade

https://uesf.canadaboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Shooting Star Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:29 pm

Celestia wrote:I've played the civ games up to four though I have not yet played five. I have gotten really into Alpha Centauri as of late. I might try TF2 over the summer we shall see. Does anypony here play audiosurf?

Audiosurf with pony songs is awesome Very Happy

I've heard a lot about Alpha Centauri but i havn't gave it a go, it's quite old isn't it?
Shooting Star
Shooting Star
Dignitary of Canterlot
Dignitary of Canterlot

Back to top Go down

Post  Tia Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:30 pm

Yeah it's sort of the semi official sequel to civ 2
Tia
Tia

Back to top Go down

Post  Shooting Star Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:31 pm

Celestia wrote:Yeah it's sort of the semi official sequel to civ 2

It's probably quite cheap now then, i'll look into it

Oh and civ5 is really good, if you've played all the others i'd defo give it a go Very Happy
Shooting Star
Shooting Star
Dignitary of Canterlot
Dignitary of Canterlot

Back to top Go down

Post  Tia Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:42 pm

I will definitely take a look into it then. Yeah you could definitely find the game. not too sure about playing multilayer online though the game servers may have been shut down by now.
Tia
Tia

Back to top Go down

Post  Niarro Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:47 pm

if there's LAN play then there're always VPNs!

I might have to look into giving AC a go again. Could be fun!

Niarro
Dignitary of Manehatten
Dignitary of Manehatten

Back to top Go down

Post  Niarro Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:11 pm

Oh yes, anyone played Homeworld 2 here?

Niarro
Dignitary of Manehatten
Dignitary of Manehatten

Back to top Go down

Post  Stormy Seas Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:38 pm

Ah, Alpha Centuri. I played that SO much back in college. You can find it for cheap at GOG.com. I'm waiting for the Alien Crossfire expansion to become avaliable before I buy it again. As for Homeworld 2, I played it a little bit but it didn't grab me in the same way the first Homeworld did. I spent forever playing the original on LAN woth friends. Luckily for me, these were the same guys that consistantly smacked me down in CounterStrike and they never quite grasped the 3D movement mechanic (which I think has never since been duplicated to the precise degree they managed in the first Homeworld) so coming out on top was never difficult.

Favorite strategy game of all time, though...Total Annihilation. My brother and I still play co-op games over LAN the one time a year we actually get to see each other. The mods. Oh, the mods! They're endless. Supreme Commander got close to capturing the feel in a modern package, but I still love that game.

Oh, and World of Tanks is pretty fun too. I modded the voices and crew photos to ponies and there are a number of pony-themed skins for various tanks.
Stormy Seas
Stormy Seas
Royal Knight
Royal Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Niarro Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:27 pm

I think the 4th dimension mod for supcom comes pretty close to bringing the game up to Total Annihilation standards. I've actually been messing around with the Spring engine, the opensource remake of TA, and a 'modded TA' game called Zero-K, heh.

I've played a bit of WoT... Modding voices and crew pictures could make that a whole lot more interesting, lol XD

Niarro
Dignitary of Manehatten
Dignitary of Manehatten

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Wisp Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:13 pm

I played WoT during its open beta. Not bad but players couldn't understand that tanks biggest weakness is always it rear. If you can hit that, it practically spells doom for said tank.

Anyway, I don't play too many games online/mutliplayer. Personally, I actually hate playing multiplayer because: 1) I suck. 2) It doesn't matter what the game is, how its played, or how popular it is..I ALWAYS find that one player that's way to into it and he/she yells at me for being bad at playing it. Seriously, the worst I've encountered was in Dota 2. the person wanted me to be reported for being NEW to the game.

*sighs* I do play Portal 2 co-op whenever I'm asked.

As for TF2, sorry. I don't play that. It annoys me to no end.

I can play terraria but don't expect me to care much as I do. I just keep digging down into the ground and make nothing but steps.

I love Sword of the Stars. Same would be said for SotS 2 but its still a bit buggy in my opinion. Still fun though and you can name your empire anything you want like Equestria. Seriously, go find my Steam account and looks through my screenshots. I have some ship designs based on the mane 6 and the princesses.

Oh, there's Beat Hazard's multiplayer. That game is really fun.

I would include Battlefield Bad Company 2 and CoD:MW3 but I've gotten to busy to keep up with those.

Perhaps EndWar but that game has much hate for some reasons, but I do agree its camera sucks.
Perhaps also for Total War: Shogun 2 but I'm not good at that to even attempt its multiplayer.
Dusk Wisp
Dusk Wisp
Known Pony
Known Pony

http://ponysquare.com/ari/

Back to top Go down

Post  Stormy Seas Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:37 pm

WoT was surprisingly deep when it came to tactics. The more experienced players do seem to understand the concepts on armor thickness on variouos facings and the advantages of a position where only your turret is exposed. That being said, I didn't play very much and was constantly bested by faster models that outran the tracking speed of my turret. Still, it was fun.

On MP games in general, that's what this thread is about. We can play games in a group setting where you know you're not going to be berated and will get advice rather than complaints. I'm of the opinion that I don't have to be winning in order to have fun and laugh. It helps, but it's not a requirement.

I gave Sword of the Stars a shot but I prefered GalCiv 2 for my space strategy.

Beat Hazard is fantastic, though I've never given MP a shot. And I also play a bit of Audiosurf now and then too.

EndWar I played on PS3. It was...different. The voice commands were a nice gimmick but as an RTS it didn't have depth.

Too bad Fallout 3 or Skyrim doesn't come with a MP component. I'd be all over that like white on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate in a snowstorm.
Stormy Seas
Stormy Seas
Royal Knight
Royal Knight

Back to top Go down

Post  Niarro Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:20 pm

Much <3 for Sots, I can't wait until they finish up sots 2 to where it's supposed to be, heh. I'm still curious as to how on earth they messed up that badly on that game.

I've really gotten into the lore and everything of sots, I've been quite impressed with the writing and everything! Helps to make the game compelling to me.

Niarro
Dignitary of Manehatten
Dignitary of Manehatten

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum