Guardians of Equestria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Past Sins - Thoughts?

5 posters

Go down

Past Sins - Thoughts? Empty Past Sins - Thoughts?

Post  Shooting Star Wed May 02, 2012 9:38 pm

For those of you that haven't read it https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_thD06uChePKsCxdjT0p9Ca96lCjdsGE9vMM1pdiXKE/edit?hl=en_US

Whats everyponies opinion on Past Sins then? Since it's one of the more conterversial ones i.e everyone loves or hates it, i thought i'd get my UESF pony friends opinions too Razz

I personally quite enjoyed it and don't see where most of the hate comes from Very Happy
Shooting Star
Shooting Star
Dignitary of Canterlot
Dignitary of Canterlot

Back to top Go down

Past Sins - Thoughts? Empty Re: Past Sins - Thoughts?

Post  Light Shine Wed May 02, 2012 11:23 pm

I gathered enjoyed the story. I'll share some of the finer details here, but hide the spoilers for those who have yet to read it.

Spoiler:

The quality of the story was a little meh, but not horrid. It was an enjoyable easy read, with great plot twists, and a wonderful, happy conclusion

Spoiler:

I recommend the story as well, it's a few chapters long, but a very easy read.
Light Shine
Light Shine
Dignitary of Canterlot
Dignitary of Canterlot

http://ponysquare.com/Light_Shine/

Back to top Go down

Post  Stormy Seas Fri May 04, 2012 1:08 am

I agree with Light Shine's assesment of the story. Past Sins was actually the second fanfic I ever read and I did so while it was still being finished and without first reading or hearing about other's comments. Because I went into the story with no reconceived notions or expectations I found myself thoroughly enjoying the whole tale. It has in interesting plot with numerous twists and some geniunely emotional moments. One in particular happened to be the first piece of written literature that brought me to tears. Not many, mind you, but enough that I had to compose myself before exiting my room and heading out where my shipmates could see me.

Looking back, I can see the mistakes made by the author, partially because Past Sins challenged me to begin my own works and the subsequent reviewers and critics gave me the understanding I had lacked at the time.

I would recommend that everyone interested in fanfics give it a shot. It was worth the investment of time then, and I would say the same thing today.
Stormy Seas
Stormy Seas
Royal Knight
Royal Knight

http://ponysquare.com/Stormy_Seas/

Back to top Go down

Post  Scootaloo Fri May 04, 2012 3:25 am

So I kinda sorta stayed up till 5am last night reading past sins. I really liked it. I thought it was really cute, and, after struggling through 4 chapters of End of Ponies, it was nice to have a somewhat happy story to read. I thought the entire thing was darling, and I loved the interactions between Nyx and the CMCs. But, then again, I may be a tad biassed as anything with Scootaloo tends to be a win in my book.
Scootaloo
Scootaloo
Royal Guard
Royal Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Niarro Fri May 11, 2012 12:46 am

I read Past Sins straight on through in about 2 days, heh. I enjoyed it overall, it's a very strong story in the ideas and such. I think a lot of people are happy to stop there.

However, it's surprisingly weak on the actual "quality" of writing. I read it just a few months ago, and in that department it feels like it could actually still use a good going-through or two with editors. Not so much for actual grammar or spelling mistakes, but there were some parts that felt off or a bit weak, enough so to dampen my enthusiasm for it. There was also at least one instance where I stopped and shook my head, and another that I actually saw what I felt was a plot hole (Which honestly never happens to me when I get as absorbed in reading a story like I was with that.)

TL;DR: Great ideas, not-so-greatly executed. But still 'good enough' that the ideas and stuff shine through.

Niarro
Dignitary of Manehatten
Dignitary of Manehatten

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum